Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Topup Industry in KYUEM


For about a year and a half I became a topup seller to my fellow friends in KYUEM.
It was fun. Exciting especially when I received the money. You have the chance to communicate and get to know a lot of people.
However, it was very tiring and the income was not that good. In economic terms, I was only earning normal profit which is define as:
the level of profit which is just enough for a firm to stay in business and is not able to attract any other firms to join the industry.



That is a bit of revision for economics students.
Hehehe
However, since February this year I have stopped selling topup.
Why???
Because I thought it was not worth it. My reasons are:

1. Exams is just around the corner. This is one of the most important exams of my life and it is important for me to stay focus and not be disturbed constantly while I'm studying or when I'm sleeping. This is because when I was selling topup, I get messages at 2 am from someone asking me to topup. Sometimes, people wake me up at 3 am to ask for topup. The worst part is, because I was too sleepy, I sometimes topup the wrong number which makes me making a loss. huhuhu

2. It is too tiring to collect money from people who bought on credit. And since I'm soo forgetful, I constantly forget who and how much people owe me. Sometimes, I even felt embarassed for asking the wrong person.

3. Profit is not that good. I only received around 10 cents for every RM10 topup I sell. It's too little. Not worth my time. I can do some other things like study. : P




However, I don't want to give the impression that selling topup did not give any benefits to me.
First, I managed to learn from my own experience how dangerous bad money management could be. Hence I continuosly tried to improve my money management (collecting money from debters) but I haven't found one that is really effective. But I did manage to make some improvement.
Secondly, it was very happy to be able to help people who are in need of topup. You see, KYUEM is not a place where you can just go to the small shops and get topup easily. No,no. In KYUEM, you need to know friends who sells topup and trust me, there are not many of them. Why can't we just go to shops to buy topup?? KYUEM is located at a very rural area where there are no small shops around! The closest thing to small shop is the dotco and it does not sell topup. So, whenever I managed to help my friend who are in great need of topup, it makes me feel good.
However, crisis sometimes happen when everyone of the people who sells topup are all out of topup. That is when havoc occurs in KYUEM!! Sometimes, it goes on for a whole week!!

Lastly, I would like to say thank you to all my loyal customers. You have helped me a lot. And a lot of thanks to my partner Syahir for helping with the posters and promotions.
Adios

3 comments:

Farhan Baku said...

Nice move, man and the time is right too. 10 cents per 10 ringgit of topup is certainly not worth ur time. Wonder how Amir's doing? Then again, maybe another budak SOKSEK will come n continue the SOKSEK=TOPUP GUY legacy.

tunsyed10 said...

hahaha
I sure would like to see that happening..
Then I will get the credit for being the founder of this legacy
hehehe

Dai said...

yeah!!! go paklah topup!!! future mllinoaire!!!

...

we'll certainly miss u here...